We are proud to announce the opening of the state-of-the-art Dr. Robert C. Cantu Concussion Center. The center is named in honor of Dr. Cantu, who is its Medical Director and Director of Clinical Research and one of the world's leading experts on concussion. The center is custom-designed for optimal care of patients who have a brain injury and features the latest therapies for the diagnosis, treatment, and management of all types of concussive brain injuries.
Based on years of research, patient input and in consultation with Dr. Cantu and Dr. Barry Levin, an Emerson neurologist who will also work with patients at the center, the new facility has sound-proof exam rooms and low-level lighting to make it easier for patients who are suffering the effects of a concussion. The center also features:
- The latest therapies for concussions, PCS (Post-Concussion Syndrome) and symptoms of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) to help with injury management and recovery
- Access to the most advanced equipment and expert physical, occupational, speech and neurological therapists in the brand new Clough Family Center for Rehabilitative and Sports Therapies located adjacent to the Cantu Concussion Center on Baker Avenue in Concord, Mass.
- Individualized treatment to meet each patient’s needs and facilitate success at home, school and work
- Baseline testing to provide a snapshot of healthy brain function for comparison should an injury occur
- A team approach where patients benefit from a range of specialists working together to guide their treatment
- Education and support for athletes, patients, caregivers, parents and coaches to aid with recovery
Drs. Cantu and Levin are seeing new patients at the Cantu Concussion Center for baseline testing, diagnoses and rehabilitative treatments of concussive brain injuries as a result of playing sports or non-athletic related injuries, including falls and head trauma. The two doctors have over seventy years of combined experience in treating patients with brain injuries, including professional athletes.
We are excited to help keep our student-athletes as well as other community members who have a brain injury healthy and to get them back to their activities as quickly and safely as possible.
To learn more about the Cantu Concussion Center, please visit emersonhospital.org/concussion or call, 978-287-8250.